This 3-day professional course is an advanced module in coffee making. By examining in detail the science and process behind the various brewing methods, it provides the opportunity to learn about the interrelated effects of coffee variables. Freshness, roasting level, grinding, water chemistry and recipe building, step by step.
After completing this course, you will be able to confidently navigate the brewing control chart and design a variety of recipes to achieve your flavour goals. You will be able to manage all types of equipment, different coffee origins and degrees of roasting and deal with any problem you may come across.
Furthermore, by looking carefully at water chemistry, you will learn to test and evaluate the alkalinity, total hardness and water pH. We will review different water filtration methods and their effectiveness in managing desirable and unwanted components in your water.
It includes 4 practical tests and a written exam (35 questions with a required success rate of 80%).
Successful completion of this course is worth 25 points for the SCA Coffee Diploma.
- Learn what affects the grinding and why its effect on extraction is catalytic
- Grinding profile, particle size, what it is, how we measure it
- Differences between different mill and knife design
- Detailed presentation of parameters affecting extraction, with hand-on training
- Description of an extraction, sensory analysis and measurable characteristics
- TDS measurement, how it is performed, benefits and limitations
- When and why we use bypass
- Water quality and its effect on extraction, plus practical examples
- Water tasting
- Recommended levels and ways of measuring water basic properties (pH, alkalinity, hardness, etc.)
- Ways to manage the unsuitability of available water
- Roasting and its effect on taste
Theoretical & practical
3 days (21 hours)
€540 + 24% VAT
Discounts apply for SCA members and customers. SCA members will be asked to confirm their membership status.
Please note that, in order to attend this course, it is necessary to send us the learner number which can be obtained by visiting the SCA Member Portal and choosing “Become a Learner” to start the registration process.